Sr. Preconstruction Estimator
Enclos Tensile Structures ETS, a world leader in the design and construction of tensile structures, is seeking a Sr. Preconstruction Estimator to join our team at our Corporate Office in Dallas, Texas. We are an aggressive and challenging Division 13 specialty contractor performing design/build projects in the rapidly advancing tensile structures field. We are dedicated to partnering with our clients, making their design concepts a reality, and in the continued advancement of tensile architecture.
The Senior Estimator is responsible for the overall project estimate while providing leadership and support for the estimating/proposal process. Works with clients, architects/engineers, subcontractors/ suppliers to plan cost factors for building projects; analyzes construction documents, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare time, cost, and labor estimates for projects by performing the following duties. Position is expected to develop a full understanding of our business and take ownership of the estimating process. Be comfortable in a dynamic, fast paced work environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review design documents for proper information to receive accurate pricing from subcontractors and suppliers; generate acceptable value engineering and value enhancement ideas and submit for consideration/approval.
- Prepare quantity take-offs and estimate costs of materials, labor, and use of equipment required to fulfill all provisions of the contract.
- Prepare ROM Budgets and firm estimates with the proper level of detail for all design stages: Conceptual, Schematic Design, Design Development and Construction Documents.
- Update and maintain the estimating cost data base to ensure costs are current/up to date.
- Consult with internal ETS Precon and Operations team, clients, architects, subcontractors, and material suppliers to discuss and formulate estimates, effect cost reductions, and resolve issues.
- Research construction documents and analyze specifications to determine estimated costs.
- Work with the internal TES Precon team throughout the preconstruction process in reviewing plans and specifications for constructability issues and determining general requirements on the project.
- Assist internal Operations Team to provide detailed estimating back-up to support change orders on active projects.
- Manage and track multiple preconstruction project estimates concurrently.
- Assist in identifying and vetting potential subcontractors and material vendors to perform various scopes of work.
- Work with engineering department to utilize AutoCAD and proprietary NDN software in generating quantities.
- Ensure that estimates are created with input from the Preconstruction and operations team as to production rates, equipment availability and general requirements.
- Ensure that self-performed estimates comply with the requirements of the overall construction contract with the Owner.
- Create proper bid packages, including project specific documents and requirements, and work with the Precon team on information requirements for each package to ensure complete bids and to provide the Operations team with the correct and complete information necessary to start construction or maintain the project schedule.
- Ensure the Estimating team acts with integrity and employs ethical behavior during all stages of the estimating process and follows the "ETS Way."
- Manage the subcontractor and vendor solicitation process with Procore or other solicitation programs as may be utilized and ensure that proper team members are part of the approval process for all bid lists.
- Assist Preconstruction team in filling out required bid forms.
- Review and vet subcontractor and supplier bids for conformity to contract requirements and determine acceptable bids.
- Work with Preconstruction Management in the creation of all final sold estimates to be given to the operations and accounting team for creation of the project budgets.
- Familiarity / Proficiency with the following software or internet-based programs: NDN, AutoCAD, Bluebeam, MS Excel, MS Word, MS Project
- Ability to work as part of a team across functional lines to obtain information, coach, and influence others to improve project estimates process and accuracy.
To achieve success, candidates should demonstrate the following core competencies: attention to detail, organizational skills, problem-solving, interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication, teamwork, professionalism, reasoning ability, dependability, initiative, strong time management with ability to meet concurrent deadlines and collaboration/relationship management.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil or Architectural Engineering, Construction Management, or equivalent field experience.
- Minimum of six 6 years' commercial construction experience with a minimum of four 4 years' estimating experience.
- Experience with estimation on Design Build projects and large, complex competitive bid projects.
- History of successfully working internally with the operational team and externally with Owners, Architects/Engineers, and subcontractors.
- Well-developed ability to lead and influence peers and others to achieve required objectives. Ability to lead estimation process to completion in a timely manner.
- Experience with structural steel take-off and development of BOQs.
- Strong technical understanding of project management concepts.
- Well-developed time management and organizational skills. Solid communication skills.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Blue Beam Skills. Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint required.
- Ability to learn NDN proprietary engineering design software to extract material take-offs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee has occasional exposure to moderate noise. They must stand and walk frequently. The employee has constant use of hands/fingers to grasp, pinch, pull, feel, or handle and manipulate parts and tools. They must constantly reach with hands and arms; use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel material. The employee will have frequent repetitive motions and frequently be able to lift or move 25 lbs. The employee has constant requirement of specific vision abilities, including close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to focus. They must frequently wear eye protection Industry standard safety equipment is provided by the company and specific notice is posted in areas where safety equipment is required.
- Constant 5-8 hrs/shift
- Frequent 2-5 hrs/shift
- Occasional Up to 2 hrs/shift
Equal Opportunity Employer
Enclos Corp is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, military service, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We are strongly committed to this policy and believe in the concept and spirit of the law. Enclos Corp is further committed to ensuring that employment decisions are based on valid job requirements. In addition, all employment actions, such as recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, layoff, termination, compensation, and benefits are administered fairly to all persons on an equal opportunity basis, without discrimination based on protected categories named above. Enclos Corp will also provide qualified applicants and employees with disabilities any needed reasonable accommodations, as required by law.